Writer Speaker Voiceover
I'm a writer, speaker and voiceover artist, a former BBC broadcaster and newspaper journalist, based in Liverpool, England.
I give talks to community groups in the Merseyside area, usually with a sporting theme having spent most of my professional career as a sports writer and broadcaster. As chair of the Norman Nicholson Society I give talks about the work of the Society as well as chairing meetings and events. There's a rundown of my talks and topics HERE.
I'm a published poet whose work has appeared in print and online. My poem Boutique by the Harbour is the latest to be selected for publication. It is included in Port, a book exploring the nature of UK ports and harbours, published by Dunlin Press in November 2019.
My poem Visibility was selected for inclusion in 'This Place I Know', an anthology of contemporary Cumbrian poetry published by Handstand Press in 2018. I qualified because I was born and brought up in Cumbria (although my neck of the woods was called Westmorland then!). In July 2019 'This Place I Know' won the Bookends Prize for Literature and Poetry at the Lakeland Book of the Year Awards.
More information about my poetry HERE.
Away from poetry, my most recent book is 'The Adventures of Monkey and Riggy', a collection of children's stories aimed at 5-8 year-olds. The book is currently being featured by Sefton Libraries in a project to encourage bedtime reading. More details HERE.
- Awarded second prize at Liverpool Dead Good Poets Society's annual competition to find Liverpool's most romantic poet, March 2020.
- Boutique by the Harbour published in 'Port', Dunlin Press, November 2019.
- The Adventures of Monkey and Riggy is featured by Sefton Libraries in a campaign to encourage bedtime reading, autumn 2019.
- This Place I Know wins Literature & Poetry prize at Lakeland Book Awards, July 2019.
- my book of children's stories, The Adventures of Monkey and Riggy, was launched September 2018.
- two poems featured in audio soundscape Time produced by The Art Clinic, Liverpool and premiered at Central Library, Liverpool. Again is at 25 mins 37 secs on timeline and Growing Old Together at 53'37 HERE
- honoured to be asked to compose and present the Oration for 'Citizens of Honour' ceremony at Liverpool Town Hall.
- produced and presented live 'This Is Your Life' event for Greenbank Academy, Liverpool.